lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Michael McCandless <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 2.4.0
Date Wed, 08 Oct 2008 09:21:00 GMT

I've hit that failure too, from a checkout.  It's an environment
specific thing for me.  On certain machines it always fails, because
the JRE chooses too small a value for max heap size.

Compile & run this:

public class Heap {
     System.out.println("max mem is " +
(Runtime.getRuntime().maxMemory()/1024/1024) + "MB");
   }
}

I have a Mac Pro with 6 GB RAM which *always* hits that failure, and
here's the output of this program:

     max mem is 80MB

I don't get why Java would default to 80MB max heap on a machine with
6 GB RAM.

On a Windows machine with 1 GB RAM it defaults to 63 MB max.  Then I
have a Linux machine with 4 GB of RAM that defaults to 974 MB max.

The workaround I do is to insert maxmemory="512M" attr into the
<junit...> task in common-build.xml.

Maybe we should commit that, for 2.9, but I don't think it should
block 2.4.0?

On the junit lib, I also think we shouldn't hold up 2.4.0 for that,
but for 2.9 we should fix it?

Mike