lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Yonik Seeley" <yo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Realtime Search for Social Networks Collaboration
Date Mon, 08 Sep 2008 21:03:15 GMT
On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 3:04 PM, Michael McCandless
<lucene@mikemccandless.com> wrote:
> Right, getCurrentIndex would return a MultiReader that includes
> SegmentReader for each segment in the index, plus a "RAMReader" that
> searches the RAM buffer.  That RAMReader is a tiny shell class that would
> basically just record the max docID it's allowed to go up to (the docID as
> of when it was opened), and stop enumerating docIDs (eg in the TermDocs)
> when it hits a docID beyond that limit.

What about something like term freq?  Would it need to count the
number of docs after the local maxDoc or is there a better way?

> For reading stored fields and term vectors, which are now flushed
> immediately to disk, we need to somehow get an IndexInput from the
> IndexOutputs that IndexWriter holds open on these files.  Or, maybe, just
> open new IndexInputs?

Hmmm, seems like a case of our nice and simple Directory model not
having quite enough features in this case.

>> Another thing that will help is if users could get their hands on the
>> sub-readers of a multi-segment reader.  Right now that is hidden in
>> MultiSegmentReader and makes updating anything incrementally
>> difficult.
>
> Besides what's handled by MultiSegmentReader.reopen already, what else do
> you need to incrementally update?

Anything that you want to incrementally update and uses an IndexReader as a key.
Mostly caches I would think... Solr has user-level (application
specific) caches, faceting caches, etc.

-Yonik