lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Yonik Seeley" <yo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Realtime Search for Social Networks Collaboration
Date Thu, 04 Sep 2008 14:13:32 GMT
On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 6:50 PM, Jason Rutherglen
<jason.rutherglen@gmail.com> wrote:
> I also think it's got a
> lot of things now which makes integration difficult to do properly.

I agree, and that's why the major bump in version number rather than
minor - we recognize that some features will need some amount of
rearchitecture.

> I think the problem with integration with SOLR is it was designed with
> a different problem set in mind than Ocean, originally the CNET
> shopping application.

That was the first use of Solr, but it actually existed before that
w/o any defined use other than to be a "plan B" alternative to MySQL
based search servers (that's actually where some of the parameter
names come from... the default /select URL instead of /search, the
"rows" parameter, etc).

But you're right... some things like the replication strategy were
designed (well, borrowed from Doug to be exact) with the idea that it
would be OK to have slightly "stale" views of the data in the range of
minutes.  It just made things easier/possible at the time.  But tons
of Solr and Lucene users want almost instantaneous visibility of added
documents, if they can get it.  It's hardly restricted to social
network applications.

Bottom line is that Solr aims to be a general enterprise search
platform, and getting as real-time as we can get, and as scalable as
we can get are some of the top priorities going forward.

-Yonik