lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Anshul jain" <anshulnirv...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Multi Field search without Multifieldqueryparser
Date Tue, 23 Sep 2008 10:46:02 GMT
Here is what I'm trying to do:

say a lucene document:
name: abc ^10
organization: xyz ^3

^10 and ^3 are boosts in the document.

now if I query name: abc ^5 AND organization: xyz this will work.

but if I query (default_field): abc^5 AND xyz this won't work.

Now what I want is that a text can be associated with more than one field. i.e.

(field1,field2,field3):value
name,(default_field),title: abc^10
organization,(default_field),institute: xyz^3

then both of my queries will work.

Is it possible to do so in lucene without changing the source?
If no then can anyone please explain the indexing and searching
mechanism for lucene, so that I can start working on it.

The solution given by the java-users won't work for me as I do not
want to add all the contents of the document in a single field and
then search for that field, as this would increase the index size and
I've to index more than 10 million documents. Also
multifieldqueryparser will make it query execution inefficient, as
there will be thousands of fields.

On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 4:06 PM, Grant Ingersoll <gsingers@apache.org> wrote:
> Not sure what you are planning to develop.  Can you elaborate?
>
> On Sep 21, 2008, at 2:08 PM, Anshul jain wrote:
>
>> Hi Ryan,
>>
>> Apparently it's not because as far as I know Lucene doesn't support
>> this function and I am planning to develop it.
>>
>> Anshul

>>> please don't remind us!
>>>
>>> try asking this question on the java-user@lucene.apache.org....  that
>>> list