lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: Moving SweetSpotSimilarity out of contrib
Date Thu, 04 Sep 2008 22:24:12 GMT

: My thought was to move SSS to core as a step towards
: making it the default, if and when there is more evidence it is
: better than current default - it just felt right as a cautious
: step - I mean first move it to core so that it is more exposed

If people really want to make SSS the default similarity, then of
course it would be neccessary to move it into the core ... but i can't
think of any reason for the intermediate step.

SSS defaults to being functionaly equivilent to DefaultSimilarity -- it's
only if you call one of hte setters to specify a Sweetspot (or subclass it
to get the hyperbolic tf function) that it's behavior will differ from the
current default.  (unless it has a really blatent bug)

-Hoss