lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: RMI, Searchable and RemoteSearchable
Date Sat, 27 Sep 2008 01:52:39 GMT

On Sep 26, 2008, at 8:19 PM, Anthony Urso wrote:

> I am using the RMI RemoteSearchable. I don't use a central RMI
> registry for the cluster (it's not particularly beneficial to do so),
> so I have had none of the problems described above.  It just works out
> of the box.
>
> Why not work towards RemoteSearchable instead of Searchable extending
> java.rmi.Remote?

Yeah, that's what I am proposing.  And, it will be in a separate
contrib.  I believe, and maybe you can help here, Anthony, b/c RMI is
not my strength, is we can just move it out to it's own JAR, and then
people using it need just to include the new JAR and possibly recompile.

Do you think that would work?  It would remove the RMI dependency from
core, but still keep those using RMI happy.