lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Realtime Search for Social Networks Collaboration
Date Sat, 06 Sep 2008 19:16:04 GMT

On Sep 6, 2008, at 4:36 AM, Otis Gospodnetic wrote:

> Regarding real-time search and Solr, my feeling is the focus should
> be on first adding real-time search to Lucene, and then we'll figure
> out how to incorporate that into Solr later.
>
> I've read Jason's Wiki as well.  Actually, I had to read it a number
> of times to understand bits and pieces of it.  I have to admit there
> is still some fuzziness about the whole things in my head - is
> "Ocean" something that already works, a separate project on
> googlecode.com?  I think so.  If so, and if you are working on
> getting it integrated into Lucene, would it make it less confusing
> to just refer to it as "real-time search", so there is no confusion?
>
> If this is to be initially integrated into Lucene, why are things
> like replication, crowding/field collapsing, locallucene, name
> service, tag index, etc. all mentioned there on the Wiki and bundled
> with description of how real-time search works and is to be
> implemented?  I suppose mentioning replication kind-of makes sense
> because the replication approach is closely tied to real-time search
> - all query nodes need to see index changes fast.  But Lucene itself
> offers no replication mechanism, so maybe the replication is
> something to figure out separately, say on the Solr level, later on
> "once we get there".  I think even just the essential real-time
> search requires substantial changes to Lucene (I remember seeing
> large patches in JIRA), which makes it hard to digest, understand,
> comment on, and ultimately commit (hence the luke warm response, I
> think).  Bringing other non-essential elements into discussion at
> the same time makes it more difficult to
> process all this new stuff, at least for me.  Am I the only one who
> finds this hard?

Yeah, I agree.  There's a place for RT search in Lucene, but it seems
to me we have a pretty good search server in Solr that needs some
things going forward, but are reasonable to work on there.  It makes
sense to me not to duplicate efforts on all of those fronts and have
two projects/communities that share > 80-90% of their functionality
(either existing, or planned).  As Yonik says, it may take longer than
just doing it by oneself, but in the long run, the outcome is usually
better.

My two cents,
Grant