lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodne...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Realtime Search for Social Networks Collaboration
Date Sat, 06 Sep 2008 08:36:18 GMT
Regarding real-time search and Solr, my feeling is the focus should be on first adding real-time
search to Lucene, and then we'll figure out how to incorporate that into Solr later.

I've read Jason's Wiki as well.  Actually, I had to read it a number of times to understand
bits and pieces of it.  I have to admit there is still some fuzziness about the whole things
in my head - is "Ocean" something that already works, a separate project on googlecode.com?
 I think so.  If so, and if you are working on getting it integrated into Lucene, would it
make it less confusing to just refer to it as "real-time search", so there is no confusion?

If this is to be initially integrated into Lucene, why are things like replication, crowding/field
collapsing, locallucene, name service, tag index, etc. all mentioned there on the Wiki and
bundled with description of how real-time search works and is to be implemented?  I suppose
mentioning replication kind-of makes sense because the replication approach is closely tied
to real-time search - all query nodes need to see index changes fast.  But Lucene itself offers
no replication mechanism, so maybe the replication is something to figure out separately,
say on the Solr level, later on "once we get there".  I think even just the essential real-time
search requires substantial changes to Lucene (I remember seeing large patches in JIRA), which
makes it hard to digest, understand, comment on, and ultimately commit (hence the luke warm
response, I think).  Bringing other non-essential elements into discussion at the same time
makes it more difficult to
 process all this new stuff, at least for me.  Am I the only one who finds this hard?

That said, it sounds like we have some discussion going (Karl...), so I look forward to understanding
more! :)

Otis