lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Jason Rutherglen" <jason.rutherg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Ocean and GData
Date Sat, 27 Sep 2008 15:23:08 GMT
I thought it would be best to point to something out there.  However
it is true that the comparison is apples to oranges.  Are you
suggesting removing the references to GData and GBase?  I don't mind,
I thought it would help to show people that realtime is in widespread
usage somewhere.

On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 9:46 AM, Otis Gospodnetic
<otis_gospodnetic@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Maybe it's just terminology, but to me GData is like RMI - something that facilitates
transport.  If Google had a system that's not real-time (i.e. you add something and you can't
get it to show up in search results immediately) they could still be using GData with that
system for indexing, querying, etc.

> To me brining GData and GBase in the picture confuses things.  You could also compare
the real-time Lucene/Solr search goal to "like any normal RDBMS - you INSERT X and you can
SELECT X immediately".  Maybe the desire to compare with G* is because it's Google's and is
known for search?