lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Jason Rutherglen" <jason.rutherg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Ocean and GData
Date Sat, 27 Sep 2008 12:03:50 GMT
Hello Otis,

GData and GBase to me sounds like they are short for Google Database.
The goal with Ocean is to provide a Lucene based search database that
provides out of the box functionality like the Google Data/Base
offers.  Unlike MapReduce, there are no infrastructure whitepapers on
how GData/Base works so I had to make a broad comparison rather than a
specific one.  Realtime seems like a feature a search database should
have to qualify as such and so GData is mentioned as the only known
realtime solution (other than Twitter's Summize with I found out about
later).  The service Google provides through the GData protocol seems
to also be referred to as GData, but could simply be called the
"infrastructure supporting Google's realtime search web services".

Jason

On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 1:17 AM, Otis Gospodnetic
<otis_gospodnetic@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Here is one thing that's been confusing me.  http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/OceanRealtimeSearch?highlight=(GData)
often mentions GData and relates it to real-time search (to Ocean), as if it is GData that
provides real-time search functionality.  But isn't GData simply a communication protocol
(Atom with some custom additions by Google)?  If so, are statements like "Ocean addresses
this by providing the same functionality as GData open sourced for use in any project" really
correct?  If GData is just a communication protocol, and Ocean is really primarily the search
engine that is capable of real-time search, then is it really correct to compare Ocean with
GData?  My feeling is that the thinking is: