lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Michael McCandless <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject Re: Realtime Search for Social Networks Collaboration
Date Mon, 08 Sep 2008 16:33:00 GMT

I'd also trying to make time to explore the approach of creating an
IndexReader impl. that searches IndexWriter's RAM buffer.

I think it's quite feasible, but, it'd still have a "reopen" cost in
that any buffered delete by term or query would have to be
"materialiazed" into docIDs on reopen.  Though, if this somehow turns
out to be a problem, in the future we could do this materializing
immediately, instead of buffering, if we already have a reader open.

Flushing is somewhat tricky because any open RAM readers would then
have to cutover to the newly flushed segment once the flush completes,
so that the RAM buffer can be recycled for the next segment.

Mike