lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodne...@yahoo.com>
Subject Ocean and GData
Date Sat, 27 Sep 2008 05:17:09 GMT
Hi,

Here is one thing that's been confusing me.  http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/OceanRealtimeSearch?highlight=(GData)
often mentions GData and relates it to real-time search (to Ocean), as if it is GData that
provides real-time search functionality.  But isn't GData simply a communication protocol
(Atom with some custom additions by Google)?  If so, are statements like "Ocean addresses
this by providing the same functionality as GData open sourced for use in any project" really
correct?  If GData is just a communication protocol, and Ocean is really primarily the search
engine that is capable of real-time search, then is it really correct to compare Ocean with
GData?  My feeling is that the thinking is:
"When I access Google's databases using GData I can see my changes to those databases immediately".
But that doesn't make GData this real-time thing, but rather the backend, no?

Please enlighten me if I'm misunderstanding what GData is.  Thanks,

Otis