lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Andrzej Bialecki ...@getopt.org>
Subject Re: RMI, Searchable and RemoteSearchable
Date Fri, 26 Sep 2008 14:16:42 GMT
Grant Ingersoll wrote:
> Came across:
> http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=1&url=http%3A%2F%2Fgroups.google.com%2Fgroup%2Fandroid-developers%2Fbrowse_thread%2Fthread%2F601329551a87e601%2Fcd0919ce891b4a26%3Flnk%3Dgst%26q%3Dlucene&ei=zNzcSPHCF4yI1ga61YiTBA&usg=AFQjCNECrBnNPBkxI4I0EbIzI-mNp3S4YA&sig2=4sDMmwa9Mrk38Nla_ULtOg

> The gist of it is, that on Android doesn't provide the RMI package.
> Thus, Lucene core can't work on Android b/c of Searchable extending
> java.rmi.Remote.
>
> This has always seemed a little weird to me.  I'm no RMI expert, but
> couldn't we drop the extension on Searchable, and add it to
> RemoteSearchable, and then move RemoteSearchable and all the RMI stuff
> to a separate contrib?  This, in my view, would be consistent with
> keeping core, core, since not many people, I think, even use the RMI
> stuff and it certainly isn't required in most cases.
>
> I haven't looked into what would break in doing it, so it is just a
> suggestion at this point.  Seems like it could be "mostly"
> back-compatible, though, since we would just be requiring someone to get
> the new JAR, unless of course they implemented their own extension of
> Searchable that relied on the Remote marker interface.
>
> Thoughts?

Even more, I wonder how many people use RemoteSearchable in real
applications. If it's in a relatively small number of cases, then let's
move it to contrib - so long as we remember to keep all search-related
core classes Serializable ;)

I recall a single situation when I had a use for remote searchable, and
due to the operational issues with running rmiregistry we went with a
custom RPC anyway.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki     <><