lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Miller <markrmil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Realtime Search for Social Networks Collaboration
Date Mon, 08 Sep 2008 14:23:02 GMT
Ning Li wrote:

> I agree with Otis that the first step for Lucene is probably to
> support real-time
> search. The instantiated index in contrib seems to be something close..
Maybe we should start fleshing out what we want in realtime search on
the wiki?

Could it be as simple as making InstantiatedIndex realtime (allow
writes/read at same time?). Then you could search over your IndexReader
as well as the InstantiatedIndex. Writes go to both the Writer and the
InstantiatedIndex. Nothing is actually permanent until the true commit,
but stuff is visible pretty fast...a new IndexReader view starts a fresh
InstantiedIndex...

Jasons realtime patch is still pretty large...would be nice if we could
accomplish this with as few changes as possible...