lucene-dev mailing list archives

From markharw00d <markharw...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: Moving SweetSpotSimilarity out of contrib
Date Wed, 03 Sep 2008 20:29:23 GMT
 >>Another important driver is the "out-of-the-box experience".
 >>we need a "standard distro" ...which would be the core plus
cherry-pick certain important contrib modules (highlighter,
 >> SweetSpotSimilarity,snowball, spellchecker, etc.) and bundle them
together.

Is that not Solr, or at least the start of a path that ultimately ends
up there?
I suspect any attempts at "bundling" Lucene code may snowball until
you've rebuilt Solr.

If anything I suspect a more interesting initiative might be to
"unbundle" Solr and see some more of it's features emerge as standalone
modules in Lucene/contrib (or a suitably renamed area e.g. "extensions")?