lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Miller <markrmil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Moving SweetSpotSimilarity out of contrib
Date Wed, 03 Sep 2008 18:35:00 GMT
I would agree with you if I was wrong about the contrib/core attention
thing, but I don't think I am. It seems as if you have been arguing that
contrib is really just an extension of core, on par with core, but just
in different libs, and to keep core lean and mean, anything not needed
in core shouldn't be there - sounds like an idea I could get behind, but
seems to ignore the reality:

The user/dev focus definitely seems to be on core. Some of contrib is a
graveyard in terms of dev and use I think. I think its still entangled
in its "sandbox" roots.

Contrib lacks many requirements of core code - it can be java 1.5, it
doesn't have to be backward compatible, etc. Putting something in core
ensures its treated as a Lucene first class citizen, stuff in contrib is
not held to such strict standards.

Even down to the people working on the code, there is a lower bar to
become a contrib commiter than a full core committer (see my contrib
committer status <g>).

Its not that I don't like what you propose, but I don't buy it as very
viable the way things are now. IMO we would need to do some work to make
it a reality. It can be said thats the way it is, but my view of things
doesnt jive with it.

I may have mis written "generally useful". What I meant was, if the
sweet spot sim is better than the default sim, but a bit harder to use
because of config, perhaps it is "core" enough to go there, as often it
may be better to use. Again, I fully believe it would get more attention
and be 'better' maintained. I did not mean to set the bar at "generally
useful" and I apologize for my imprecise language (one of my many faults).