lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Miller <markrmil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Moving SweetSpotSimilarity out of contrib
Date Wed, 03 Sep 2008 12:40:11 GMT
I think its a fair question that, regardless of the legal mumbo jumbo
provoking it, can be considered on the merits that it should be - is it
something important enough to bulk up the core with the trade off being
more people will find it helpful and can use it with slightly less hassle?

I have seen discussion about about core vs contrib before, and from what
I saw, the distinction and rules are not quite clear. I would think
though, if the new Similarity is really that much better than the old,
it might actually benefit in core. There is no doubt core gets more
attention on both the user and developer side, and important pieces with
general usages should probably be there.

I havn't used it myself, so I won't guess (too much <g>), but the
question to me seems to be, is SweetSpot important enough to move to
core? Are there enough good reasons? And even if so, is it ready to move
to core? Contrib also seems to be somewhat of a possible incubation area...