lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Moving SweetSpotSimilarity out of contrib
Date Tue, 02 Sep 2008 11:34:22 GMT

On Sep 2, 2008, at 6:07 AM, Shai Erera wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Following Doron's quality work enhancements in TREC 2007 (http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/TREC_2007_Million_Queries_Track_-_IBM_Haifa_Team

> ), I was wondering if it's possible to move the SweetSpotSimilarity
> to Lucene's main code stream (out of "contrib" that is).
> It shows significant improvement over the default similarity.

My understanding is it requires a bit of tuning, right?  I'd want to
make sure people have the right information to use it intelligently,
but otherwise, it seems reasonable.

> I'm not suggesting to replace the DefaultSimilarity (as the default)
> with SweetSpot, but just expose SweetSpot as part of Lucene's core.
> It will help me use it, since I cannot use the contrib packages
> easily in my environment (legal issues), but can use Lucene's core
> more freely.

This strikes me as really odd. The contrib modules are released under
the exact same terms as the core, but heh, I'm not a lawyer...  Is
there anything you think we should be concerned with?

-Grant