lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Moving SweetSpotSimilarity out of contrib
Date Wed, 03 Sep 2008 21:04:56 GMT

On Sep 3, 2008, at 3:00 PM, Michael McCandless wrote:

> Obviously we can't default everything perfectly since at some point
> there are hard tradeoffs to be made and every app is different, but if
> SweetSpotSimilarity really gives better relevance for many/most apps,
> and doesn't have any downsides (I haven't looked closely myself), I
> think we should get it into core?

Well, we only have 2 data points here:  Hoss' original position that
it was helpful, and Doron's Million Query work.  Has anyone else
reported benefit?  And in that regard, the difference between OOTB and
SweetSpot was 0.154 vs. 0.162 for MAP.  Not a huge amount, but still
useful.  In that regard, there are other length normalization
functions (namely approaches that don't favor very short documents as
much) that I've seen benefit applications as well, but as Erik is
(in)famous for saying "it depends".  In fact, if we go solely based on
the million query work, we'd be better off having the Query Parser
create phrase queries automatically for any query w/ more than 1 term
(0.19 vs 0.154) before we even touch length normalization.

I've long argued that Lucene needs to take on the relevance question
more head on, and in an open source way, until then, we are merely
guessing at what's better, w/o empirical evidence that can be easily
reproduced.   TREC is just one data point, and is often discounted as
being all that useful in the real world.

I'm on the fence, though.  I agree w/ Hoss that core should be "core"
and I don't think we want to throw more and more into core, but I also
agree w/ Mike in that we want good, intelligent defaults for what we
do have in core.

-Grant