lucene-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Michael McCandless <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject Re: draft 2.4 announcement
Date Tue, 30 Sep 2008 09:08:40 GMT

OK here's the new version with suggestions folded in:


Release 2.4.0 of Lucene is now available!

Many new features, fixes and optimizations have happened since 2.3,
including:

   * New InstantiatedIndex (contrib/instantiated): RAM-based index that
     enables much faster searching than RAMDirectory.

   * New IndexWriter constructors now default autoCommit to false.

   * New commit() method in IndexWriter lets you control when changes
     are made visible & permanent in the index.

   * A machine or OS crash, or power loss, while IndexWriter is writing
     to an index will no longer corrupt the index.

   * TimeLimitedCollector adds timeout to searches

   * Delete documents by Query in IndexWriter

   * Pure boolean indexing (no frequency, positions nor payloads are
     indexed) using Field.setOmitTf()

   * A new Directory implementation, NIOFSDirectory, using java.nio's
     APIs to allow multiple threads to read from the same open file
     without locking.

   * IndexWriter.expungeDeletes() reclaims disk space from deleted
     documents by merging away segments that have deletions.

   * All filters now return a DocIdSet instead of java.util.BitSet,
     making filters more efficient and flexible.

   * IndexReader can be opened with new readOnly=true mode, which gives
     better performance in a multi-threaded environment.

The detailed changes are here:

   <URL to 2.4 Changes.html>

Lucene 2.4 includes index format changes that are not readable by older
versions of Lucene.  Lucene 2.4 can both read and update older Lucene
indexes.  Adding to an index with an older format will cause it to be
converted to the newer format.

Binary and source distributions are available at
http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/lucene/java/

Lucene artifacts are also available in the Maven2 repository at
http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/lucene/

Mike

Otis Gospodnetic wrote:

> Looks good to me!
>
>
> Otis
> --
> Sematext -- http://sematext.com/ -- Lucene - Solr - Nutch
>
>
>
> ----- Original Message ----
>> From: Michael McCandless <lucene@mikemccandless.com>
>> To: java-dev@lucene.apache.org
>> Sent: Monday, September 29, 2008 3:00:17 PM
>> Subject: draft 2.4 announcement
>>
>>
>> Here's my current draft -- any feedback?
>>
>>
>> Release 2.4.0 of Lucene is now available!
>>
>> Many new features, fixes and optimizations have happened since 2.4,
>> including:
>>
>>   * New IndexWriter constructors now default autoCommit to false.
>>
>>   * New commit() method in IndexWriter, lets you control when changes
>>     are made visible & permanent in the index.
>>
>>   * A machine or OS crash, or power loss, while IndexWriter is  
>> writing
>>     to an index should no longer corrupt the index (LUCENE-1044).
>>
>>   * TimeLimitedCollector adds timeout to searches
>>
>>   * Delete documents by Query in IndexWriter
>>
>>   * Pure boolean indexing (no frequency, positions nor payloads are
>>     indexed) using Field.setOmitTf()
>>
>>   * A new Directory implementation, NIOFSDirectory, using java.nio's
>>     APIs to allow multiple threads to read from the same open file
>>     without locking.
>>
>>   * IndexWriter.expungeDeletes() reclaims disk space from deleted
>>     documents by merging away segments that have deletions.
>>
>>   * All filters now return a DocIdSet instead of java.util.BitSet,
>>     making filters more efficient and flexible.
>>
>>   * IndexReader can be opened with new readOnly=true mode, which  
>> gives
>>     better performance in a multi-threaded environment.
>>
>> The detailed changes are here:
>>
>>
>>
>> Lucene 2.4 includes index format changes that are not readable by  
>> older
>> versions of Lucene.  Lucene 2.4 can both read and update older Lucene
>> indexes.  Adding to an index with an older format will cause it to be
>> converted to the newer format.
>>
>> Binary and source distributions are available at
>> http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/lucene/java/
>>
>> Lucene artifacts are also available in the Maven2 repository at
>> http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/lucene/
>>
>> Mike
>>
>>
>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: java-dev-unsubscribe@lucene.apache.org
>> For additional commands, e-mail: java-dev-help@lucene.apache.org
>
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: java-dev-unsubscribe@lucene.apache.org
> For additional commands, e-mail: java-dev-help@lucene.apache.org
>


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: java-dev-unsubscribe@lucene.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: java-dev-help@lucene.apache.org


Mime
View raw message