lucene-dev mailing list archives

From mark harwood <markharw...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: Realtime Search for Social Networks Collaboration
Date Sun, 07 Sep 2008 09:41:16 GMT

Interesting discussion.

>>I think we should seriously look at joining efforts with open-source Database engine
projects

I posted some initial dabblings here with a couple of the databases on your list :http://markmail.org/message/3bu5klzzc5i6uhl7
but this is not really a scalable solution (which is what Jason and others need)

>>for example joins are not possible using SOLR).

It's largely *because* Lucene doesn't do joins that it can be made to scale out. I've replaced
two large-scale database systems this year with distributed Lucene solutions because this
scale-out architecture provided significantly better performance. These were "semi-structured"
systems too. Lucene's comparitively simplistic data model/query model is both a weakness and
a strength in this regard.

Cheers,
Mark.