lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: lucene scoring
Date Thu, 07 Aug 2008 14:20:10 GMT
My understanding is this is an area of research in Info. Retrieval in
general.  There is some attempt at this with the query normalization
factor in the scoring model, but my understanding is one shouldn't
rely on it.  You might try searching Google scholar (or MSN Academic
Live, which I prefer :-)  ).   I think Hoss's response in that thread
you link, however, is right on.  The scores for Lucene are only meant
for comparison within the given search result.  I would even go so far
as to say the scores may not be comparable for the same query done at
different times, unless absolutely nothing has changed in the index.

My question back is what are you trying to do that you think you need
it?