lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Александр Аристов <cloun...@mail.ru>
Subject Re[2]: lucene scoring
Date Thu, 07 Aug 2008 19:05:41 GMT
I want implement searching with ability to set so-called a confidence level below which I would
treat documents as garbage. I cannot defile the level per query as the level should be relevant
for all documents.

With current scoring implementation the level would mean nothing. I don't believe that since
that time (the thread is of 2005year) nothing has been made towards the resolving the issue.

Do you think any workarounds like implementing more sophisticated queries so that we have
approximately the same normalization values?

Alex

-----Original Message-----
From: Grant Ingersoll <gsingers@apache.org>
To: java-dev@lucene.apache.org
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2008 10:20:10 -0400
Subject: Re: lucene scoring

My understanding is this is an area of research in Info. Retrieval in
general.  There is some attempt at this with the query normalization
factor in the scoring model, but my understanding is one shouldn't
rely on it.  You might try searching Google scholar (or MSN Academic
Live, which I prefer :-)  ).   I think Hoss's response in that thread
you link, however, is right on.  The scores for Lucene are only meant
for comparison within the given search result.  I would even go so far
as to say the scores may not be comparable for the same query done at
different times, unless absolutely nothing has changed in the index.

My question back is what are you trying to do that you think you need
it?