lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Andrzej Bialecki ...@getopt.org>
Subject Analyzer and Fieldable, different stored and indexed values
Date Wed, 27 Aug 2008 14:47:30 GMT
Hi all,

I recently had a situation where I had to pass some metadata information
to Analyzer. This metadata was specific to a Document instance (short
story is that the analysis of some fields depended on data coming from
other fields, and the number of possible values was too big to use
separate fields for each combination).

It would be nice to have an Analyzer.tokenStream(String fieldName, Field
f), or even better tokenStream(String fieldName, Document doc) ... but
probably it's too intrusive to change this. Although I would be happy to
have tokenStream(String, Fieldable), because then I could provide my own
Fieldable with metadata.

In the meantime, having neither option, I came up with an idea: I will
use a subclass of Reader, and attach my metadata there, and then use
this Reader when creating a Field. However, I quickly discovered that if
you set a Reader on a Field, this field automatically becomes un-stored
- not what I wanted ... Field is declared final, so no luck there.

In the end I implemented a Fieldable, which sort of breaks the contract
for Fieldable - but it works :) . Namely, my Fieldable returns both
readerValue() and stringValue(). The first method returns my subclass of
Reader with metadata, and the second returns the value to be stored.

The reason why it works is that DocInverterPerField first checks the
tokenStreamValue, then the readerValue, and only then the stringValue
that it converts to a Reader - so in my case it uses the supplied
readerValue. At the same time, FieldsWriter, which is responsible for
storing field values, uses just the stringValue (or binaryValue, but
that wasn't relevant to my case), which is also set to non-null.

So, here are my thoughts on this, and I'd appreciate any comments on this:

* is this a justified use of the API? it works, at least at the moment
;) and I couldn't find any other way to accomplish this task.

* could we perhaps relax the restriction on Fieldable so that it can
return non-null values from more than one method, and clearly document
in what sequence they are processed? This is already hinted at in the
javadoc.

* I propose to add a new API to Analyzer:

   public TokenStream tokenStream(String fieldName, Fieldable field);

to support use cases like the one I described above. The default
implementation could be something like this:

   public TokenStream tokenStream(String fieldName, Fieldable field) {
	Reader r = field.readerValue();
	if (r == null) {
		String s = field.stringValue();
		r = new StringReader(s);