lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Ning Li" <ning.li...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Commit while addIndexes is in progress
Date Fri, 11 Jul 2008 19:27:51 GMT
> What should it "mean" when you call commit(), while another thread is in the
> middle of addIndexes?
>
> We could 1) disallow it (throw an exception if you try), 2) allow it but
> block until addIndexes is done, 3) allow it but commit all changes up until
> when addIndexes was first called ... anything else?

I don't have a strong preference. One reasoning is that commit itself
calls flush
and waits for flush to finish. So is 2) more consistent that commit waits for
addIndexes to finish?

We should also disallow concurrent addIndexes, right?

> I think there're similar problems with calling optimize() while addIndexes
> is in progress... I think we should disallow that?

Optimize waits for addIndexes to finish? I think it's useful to allow addIndexes
during maybeMerge and optimize, no?

Cheers,
Ning Li