lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Logos (powered by)
Date Thu, 31 Jul 2008 16:55:23 GMT

On Jul 31, 2008, at 12:33 PM, Doug Cutting wrote:

> To be clear, one can use the official Lucene logo for this purpose,
> right?

I don't know.  IANAL and all that good stuff.  When I read some
things, it's not obvious to me, and I've had a some discussions with
people that make me even more unsure :-)

> Apache doesn't want its trademarks used to describe other products,
> but other folks using the Lucene logo to refer to Apache Lucene is
> fine.  So a link to http://lucene.apache.org/ whose anchor is
> "Powered by <Lucene Logo>" is legally fine, if perhaps graphically
> suboptimal.

At any rate, I was just proposing something that is more "graphically
optimal", to paraphrase your terms.  Something that is unambiguous in
it's usage terms (because we explicitly say "use this", versus, "we're
not sure if you can") and helps spread the Lucene brand, I guess.   A
powered-by logo would make it clear, in my mind, but I'm fine w/o it
too.

-Grant