lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject [VOTE] Break Back Compatibility "Contract" on Fieldable
Date Wed, 30 Jul 2008 12:44:00 GMT
As they say, rules are meant to be broken...

For a variety of reasons, some outlined below, I (and others) would
like us to break our back compatibility requirements and allow for
modifying the Fieldable interface in 2.x releases with the 3.x plan to
be to separate out write side interfaces from read side interfaces per
Hoss' suggestion in http://lucene.markmail.org/message/77qs2pjy3inzfddj?q=Fieldable%2C+AbstractField

.

Our reasons are based on LUCENE-1340, LUCENE-1219 and http://lucene.markmail.org/message/77qs2pjy3inzfddj?q=Fieldable%2C+AbstractField

Simply put, my gut says there are almost no implementations of
Fieldable "in the wild", and those that are won't mind a few lines of
code change here and there to accommodate Fieldable changing (since
Fields really are just simple data structures and don't due much
algorithmically, except maybe LazyField)

Thus, here's the vote part:

1. We mark Fieldable as being subject to change.  We heavily advertise
(on java-dev and java-user and maybe general) that in the next minor
release of Lucene (2.4), Fieldable will be changing.  It is also
marked at the top of CHANGES.txt very clearly for all the world to
see.  Since 2.4 is probably at least a month away, I think this gives
anyone with a pulse enough time to react.

2. We thus allow 1340 and 1219 to go forward, and maybe some others.

3. [OPTIONAL] We commit to rethinking input Documents and output
Documents for 3.x per Hoss' design suggestions in the email thread
above.  At a minimum, it becomes an abstract base class.

+1 to all 3 items from me.

-Grant