> reopen should just upgrade to the latest commit?

Makes sense

> commit was deleted IOException

Seems like proper behavior

On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 5:39 AM, Michael McCandless <lucene@mikemccandless.com> wrote:

This API doesn't yet exist.

I do agree it would be useful (necessary) for users who have a customized deletion policy that keeps around certain prior commits, and wants to selectively open readers against these past commits.  I like your proposed methods; I can take this.

On reopen(): I think if you call this on an IndexReader explicitly opened against a prior commit, it should just upgrade to the latest commit?

Also, if you open an explicit commit, it's entirely possible you'll hit an IOException because that commit was deleted after you listed it and before you opened it.  Normally, IndexReader.open would retry in such a case (to get the new commit), but it would not do so, and just throw the IOException, if given an explicit commit to open.

Mike

Jason Rutherglen wrote:

Need to be able to get a list of IndexCommits for a directory.  Also open an IndexReader for each IndexCommit.  Am thinking of API such as.  I suppose this could cause problems for reopen.

IndexCommit[] commits = IndexReader.listCommitPoints(Directory directory);

and

IndexReader.open(IndexCommit commit, Directory directory);