lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Michael McCandless <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject Re: Obtain IndexCommits from directory
Date Tue, 17 Jun 2008 09:39:16 GMT

This API doesn't yet exist.

I do agree it would be useful (necessary) for users who have a
customized deletion policy that keeps around certain prior commits,
and wants to selectively open readers against these past commits.  I
like your proposed methods; I can take this.

On reopen(): I think if you call this on an IndexReader explicitly
opened against a prior commit, it should just upgrade to the latest
commit?

Also, if you open an explicit commit, it's entirely possible you'll
hit an IOException because that commit was deleted after you listed it
and before you opened it.  Normally, IndexReader.open would retry in
such a case (to get the new commit), but it would not do so, and just
throw the IOException, if given an explicit commit to open.

Mike