lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Michael McCandless <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject Re: ReaderCommit
Date Sun, 22 Jun 2008 19:30:54 GMT

Jason Rutherglen wrote:

> Is there a reason ReaderCommit in
> DirectoryIndexReader.getIndexCommit() does not support delete?

I think we are getting away from using IndexReader to make changes to
the index, so, I didn't want to enable deleting a commit point from
IndexReader.

> Is is proper behavior to use SnapshotDeletionPolicy and then keep
> the IndexCommit around?

Likely not really.  If you intend to keep the commit around
indefinitely you should use a better matched deletion policy that
keeps track, over time, of what should not be deleted.  EG
SnapshotDeletionPolicy does not save to disk which commit points are
still held open.

> What is the difference where the former does not support delete?

Not sure what you're asking here?

Mike