lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Yonik Seeley" <yo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Sharing stored fields between two indexes
Date Wed, 14 May 2008 22:05:13 GMT
On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 5:47 PM, Mark Miller <markrmiller@gmail.com> wrote:
> How difficult would it be to share stored fields across two indexes? I
> am thinking about this for a stemmed and un-stemmed index. I know that
> you could use two fields, but this affects the term stats for your index

What stats are you concerned about?  idf is field specific, so extra
fields don't affect scoring.

> and bloats the index for searching.

The space would be the same (having the two fields in the same index),
and the only searching difference should be when trying to find a
term, an additional step in the binary search will be needed to find
the nearest index term.  That should be negligible.

-Yonik