lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Open Source Relevance
Date Thu, 22 May 2008 02:23:41 GMT

On May 21, 2008, at 8:26 AM, Stephen Green wrote:

> Grant Ingersoll wrote:
>
>> Cool, hadn't seen that.
>
> Hi folks.  Long time lurker (in RSS), first time mailer.  I just
> wanted to say that (obviously) I think this is a great idea and we
> should try to push it a little further along.  I posted a bit more
> about it in my blog this morning:
>
> http://blogs.sun.com/searchguy/entry/open_source_trec_trecmentum
>
> The practical upshot:  I'd be more than happy to participate in this
> and to try to get data sources and queries from Sun or elsewhere.
> I'd also be up for trying to find some place to host the collections
> and maybe even try to figure out some way that we could get
> computing resources to run the evaluations.  No guarantees on that
> (I'm sure a Sun Lawyer's ears are burning somewhere right now, just
> for me having said that!), but I'm willing to tilt at that windmill.

I don't think we want to be in the collection business.  It is a lot
of work and a serious amount of legal issues.  I am just proposing we
come up w/ questions and judgments for already existing, freely
available collections.  There are plenty of them out there, we just
need some scripts, etc. to make it easy for people to download like we
do already with Wikipedia.

> TREC had a huge impact on the academic and commercial IR communities
> and I think an OSTREC (see, it's already got a cool acronym!) could
> benefit all of us (it would give us bragging rights if nothing
> else :-)

Cool name, don't care much about bragging rights, just want to spur on
further improvements in scoring, etc.

-Grant