lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Steven A Rowe" <sar...@syr.edu>
Subject RE: Open Source Relevance
Date Tue, 20 May 2008 17:01:08 GMT
On 05/19/2008 at 3:58 PM, Grant Ingersoll wrote:
> I think it is time the open source search community (and
> I don’t mean just Lucene) develop and publish a set of
> TREC-style relevance judgments for freely available data
> that is easily obtained from the Internet.

Stephen Green, Minion developer at Sun, whose posts comparing Minion and Lucene were recently
mentioned on the solr-user mailing list[1], has similar ideas.  From <http://blogs.sun.com/searchguy/entry/minion_and_lucene_performance>:

   I think it would be a good idea for all of the open
   source engines to get together, find a nice open document
   collection (the Apache mailing list archives and their
   associated searches?) and build a nice set of regression
   tests and some pooled relevance sets so that we can test
   retrieval performance without having to rely on the TREC
   data.

Steve

[1] Solr += Minion? on solr-user: <http://www.nabble.com/Minion%2C-anyone--td17344160.html>