lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Klaas <mike.kl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: LazyRAMDirectory
Date Thu, 01 May 2008 21:53:14 GMT
On 1-May-08, at 10:03 AM, Timo Nentwig wrote:

> Hello developers,
>
> I do have enough memory to load the index completely into RAM but
> can't live
> with the fact that it takes multiple minutes to do so.
>
> So I can up with the idea of implementing a RAMDirectory proxy that
> does the
> Directory.copy() asyncronously and while not finished delegating to
> the
> FSDirectory.
>
> Does somebody already have done this or is this for some reason a
> bad idea to
> do?

Is it a bad idea?  Well, there is a version of Directory that lazily-
loads only needed parts of the index in memory, eventually storing the
whole index there given enough ram.  It's called FSDirectory :)

Depending on how tightly your RAMDirectory fits in memory, you might
find that the FSD gets memory-starved before the RAMDir has finished

-Mike