lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Miller <markrmil...@gmail.com>
Subject Sharing stored fields between two indexes
Date Wed, 14 May 2008 21:47:23 GMT
Before I spend too much time looking at this I was hoping I could short
cut to some answers:

How difficult would it be to share stored fields across two indexes? I
am thinking about this for a stemmed and un-stemmed index. I know that
you could use two fields, but this affects the term stats for your index
and bloats the index for searching. Using two indexes is nice, but
doubles your stored fields for hit list display.

Any comments on such a strategy (sharing stored fields)? At first glance
it seems doable, but not knowing a lot of details, is it not worth the
effort?

It seems to me I'd get the best of both worlds - a search space equal to
that of a non stemmed index, and disk space only a bit more than the
space needed for the stemmed terms.

Anyone have any insight to offer?

thanks,

Mark