lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Busch <busch...@gmail.com>
Subject Pooling of posting objects in DocumentsWriter
Date Tue, 08 Apr 2008 15:01:38 GMT
Hi,

this is most likely a question for Mike. I'm trying to figure out what
changes we need to make in order to support flexible indexing and
LUCENE-1231. Currently I'm looking into the DocumentsWriter.

If we want to support different posting lists, then we probably want to
change the Posting class to be an abstract base class and have different
subclasses that implement the different posting formats.
The DocumentsWriter does pooling of the Posting instances and I'm
wondering how much this improves performance. It will be a bit harder to
do pooling with different Posting implementations. Probably we would
need a Map<Class, PostingPool> with one entry for each Posting subclass
used?
I wonder if that's worth it, because I was thinking that pooling of
small objects in modern JVMs is not really more efficient anymore?

-Michael