lucene-dev mailing list archives

From robert engels <reng...@ix.netcom.com>
Subject Re: Fieldable, AbstractField, Field
Date Tue, 25 Mar 2008 16:26:03 GMT
Hindsight is great !

I am not saying anything was done wrong. I just think the projects
that recognize where the API can be improved and do so in a later
release - when they've had the hindsight - do better long-term.

With decorator and facade classes you may still not get 100% code
compatibility, but for low-level (programmer centric) libraries this
is not usually a problem.

I think the "drop in without changing a line of code" desire of the
lucene project is not very useful long-term.

But as always - JMO.