lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Michael McCandless <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject Re: Explanation on RAMBufferSizeMB
Date Fri, 21 Mar 2008 21:38:01 GMT

Shai Erera wrote:
> What do you mean by "does your test do any merging"?
> All I do is create IndexWriter w/ the RAM and MBD settings as I've
> described
> before. Then I just call addDocument. At the end I call optimize()
> (it is a
> one time created index, after that I need it optimized for search).
> I guess Lucene performs segment merging in between, although I think I
> noticed that before optimize is called, there were 10 segments (CFS
> files)
> of size 200MB each, which matches the default merge factor setting
> to 10 (if
> I'm not mistaken). Does it mean that no segments were merged during
> the
> indexing process?

It sounds likely that Lucene didn't do any of its own segment merging
before you called optimize.  So this is a good example: if your ram
buffer size had been smaller, probably more than 10 segments would be
flushed which would have kicked off a merge.  So even though
throughput tails off as you increase RAM buffer size, larger RAM
buffers result in fewer merges taking place, so for a large enough
index it should be worthwhile having a larger RAM buffer size.

Mike