lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Fieldable, AbstractField, Field
Date Wed, 19 Mar 2008 18:01:33 GMT
robert engels wrote:
> The problem with abstract classes, is that any methods you provide
> "know" something of the implementation, unless the methods are
> implemented solely by calling other abstract methods (which is rarely
> the case if the abstract class contains ANY private members).

Yes, abstract classes should generally avoid private fields that don't
have both setters and getters.

> This is possible because the interfaces were designed very well. You
> MUST completely understand the problem domain in abstract terms in order
> to define proper interfaces.

That works for static problem domains.  If Lucene is resolved to only
make bugfix releases, and not to substantially evolve its feature set,
then this might be appropriate.

> IndexReader and IndexWriter should have been interfaces. If they were,
> lots of the code would not have been structured as it was, and many
> problems people had in producing "other" implementations could have been
> avoided.

The problem is not that they were not interfaces, but that they were not
originally intended to be abstract and replaceable.  The original design
was that indexing would be the primary implementation that Lucene
provided, and that things around indexing would be extensible, but that
indexing itself would not be.  Extensibility was retrofitted onto an
existing design, and it still shows some.

If IndexReader and IndexWriter were originally written to be extensible
it would have been foolish to implement them as interfaces given the
amount that these have evolved.  Each release would have broken every
application.

> As for future expansion, it is improbable in most cases that adding new
> abstract methods will work - if that is the case, they can easily be
> added to a static utility class. If the API is really changing/adding,
> it is easy to create 'interfaceV2 extends interfaceV1'. If the code
> worked before, and you want to support backwards code compatibility
> between versions, this is a fool proof way to accomplish it.

This is not foolproof.  Not all extension is the addition of new
methods.  In Hadoop, for example, we wish to move from Mapper#map(key,
value, reporter) to Mapper#map(MapContext), where MapContext has
getKey(), getValue(), getReporter() and other methods.  If Mapper were
an abstract class, back-compatibility would be easy, since we could
provide a default implementation of Mapper#map(MapContext) that calls
Mapper#map(key, value, reporter).  With interfaces things are much more
complicated, since, for back-compatibility, we must support both
versions of the interface for a time, dynamically determining what
version of the interface the application has specified and calling it
accordingly.  This is ugly code that we could have avoided if we'd stuck
to abstract classes.  And the impact is not only where the Mapper is
run, but also where it is specfied (JobConf).  So instead of localizing
the change to Mapper.java, we have to add lots of runtime support and
public API methods in other classes.  Yuck.

On the other hand, Hadoop's FileSystem is an abstract class.  It has
evolved considerably and applications have been able to upgrade without
pain.  Lucene's Directory has also evolved profitably without breaking
external Directory implementations.

Interfaces look elegant, but looks can deceive.

Doug