lucene-dev mailing list archives

From DM Smith <dmsmith...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Going to Java 5. Was: Re: A bit of planning
Date Mon, 10 Mar 2008 20:16:03 GMT
Grant Ingersoll wrote:
> All it takes is one line in the announcement saying "Version 3.0 uses
> Java 1.5"  I don't think the significance will be lost on anyone.
> Everyone knows what Java 1.5 is.  I'm -1 on calling it 4.0.  People
> will then ask where is 3.0.  I am +1 for sticking w/ the plan we voted
> for as described on
> http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/Java_1%2e5_Migration (last edited
> 10/1/2007)  It's not like we are springing this on anyone.  In fact,
> I'd be more than happy to announce it on the user list to let people
> know ahead of time.

I'm fine with the plan as far as I understand it, but can you clarify
something for me?

While 3.0 won't be backward compatible in that it requires Java 5.0,
will it be otherwise backward compatible? That is, if I compile with
2.9, eliminate all deprecations and use Java 5, can I drop 3.0 in and
expect it to work without any further changes?

I think that is what I am reading wrt the plan.

DM