lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Michael McCandless <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject Fieldable, AbstractField, Field
Date Mon, 17 Mar 2008 21:07:18 GMT
Hi,

I'm working on LUCENE-1219, which I think is a good improvement to the
Field API for creating stored binary fields based on parts of a shared
byte[].

I'm not really happy with the current patch because our hands are tied
by the fact that we have Fieldable as an interface.  I'd really like
to move that to a base class, but...

Really, I think we could go just back to a single Field class instead
of the three classes Fieldable, AbstractField and Field.  If we had
this then LUCENE-1219 would be easier to cleanly implement.

Here're some details:

   https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-1219?
page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-
tabpanel&focusedCommentId=12578199#action_12578199

Is there some reason not to do this?

Mike