lucene-dev mailing list archives

From robert engels <reng...@ix.netcom.com>
Subject Re: Fieldable, AbstractField, Field
Date Tue, 25 Mar 2008 04:46:38 GMT
There have been many major successful libraries where the interfaces
change from one (major) version to the next.

Programmers are used to it, and quite apt at dealing with it.

But, in the cited case, it is a perfect example where Field being an
interface and DefaultField being a default implementation would have
been a good solution.

This allows backwards compatibility for most applications, but more
advanced implementations are not hindered by being tied to idea of
what a field should be.

Some would argue that all that Field needs is

FieldData getField(String name); and void setField(String
name,FieldData data);

and FieldData has

toBytes(); fromBytes()

with various implementations and decorators that easily allows String
to be used as a FieldData. Since String is final this is a bit more
difficult since you could not do

class MyString extends String implements FieldData

which is why for common known JDK classes you would have in DefaultField

setString() and getString() and others...

Writing custom versions of IndexReader and IndexWriter was very
difficult because them being tied to a directory (a set of files). If
you have an implementation that doesn't need this, you end up with a
very bad OO hierarchy. We had an implementation that had no concept
of files, yet you would never have realized that by looking at the
hierarchy.