lucene-dev mailing list archives

From eks dev <eks...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Ideas to refactor Filed
Date Wed, 05 Mar 2008 09:00:53 GMT
I have noticed the two potential enhancements in Field, and I am not sure if I read it correctly,
so better to ask before crating Jira issue :)

1.. Field uses two methods to determine type of fieldsData, sometimes with boolean isBinary;
and sometimes with instanceof byt[]
The proposal is to reduce it to one method, ether by removing  isBinary and using instance
of byte[] or to replace one instanceof with isBinary. I do not know which one should be faster?

2. Second enhancement would be to add length of char[]/byte[], to setValue(...) methods e.g.

public void setValue(byte[] value, int length)  //maybe offset as well?
This would enable users to save some allocations