lucene-dev mailing list archives

From DM Smith <dmsmith...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Lingustically-enhanced indexing for Lucene
Date Wed, 13 Feb 2008 13:29:25 GMT
I am very interested in Apertium, especially if it is possible to grow
it for biblical Greek and Hebrew.

Licensing threads seem to generate more heat than light. I hope that
my question won't. I develop code under many different licenses
including GPL, and feel that following licenses properly is important.

With Apertium being GPL, not LGPL, the license is "viral".

I have a non GPL library in which I'd like to use the code. Will the
code in contrib protect my code from the viral nature of the GPL?

About the only ways I have seen around this are (IANAL and I'm
probably very imprecise with the following):
1 Dual license with a GPL compatible license where the user is able to
choose the license.

2 Re-licensing, the owners have the right to license their code in any
fashion that they wish and can also grant a copy of the code under any
other license of their choice, even a GPL incompatible one.

3 Plug-in, where the plug-in implements an "interface" of the
application's core code to adapt the GPLv2  library to it. Because the
plug-in implements the core application's interface it is not viral
but the plugin is GPL.

-- DM