lucene-dev mailing list archives

From phiras <phi...@gmail.com>
Subject high lookup time on single lucene index
Date Sun, 03 Feb 2008 17:24:17 GMT

Hi,
We have a single Lucene index consist of 4.5 million document with 20
million different term.
The lookup time is too high , (more than 3 seconds) for a none-simple
boolean query, this high lookup time is not acceptable.

We did a simple test to figure out the relation between ( documents count &
lookup time ) and the results was amazing.
note :  queries and documents are generated randomly

Doc count  /  lookup time  for 1000 multi term query ( in milliseconds )
5000	    /   1683
10000	   /   2898
15000	   /   23667
20000	   /   25002
25000	   /   31282
30000	   /   43849
35000	   /   53526
40000	   /   69321
45000	   /   73319
50000	   /   80006

My questions now are :
1- What's the search complexity in Lucene (driven by what ?).
2- How can we enhance search performance ?

Thank you.