lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Andrzej Bialecki ...@getopt.org>
Subject Re: Updating Lucene Index with Unstored fields
Date Wed, 30 Jan 2008 18:56:35 GMT
philipc wrote:
> hi,
>
> I'm trying to add a new field to all the documents in a lucene index.
> After searching around, I found the only way to do an update
> is by retrieve the old documents, update it, delete it, then re-add
> to index.
>
> However, this worked for only preserving the stored fields.
> i've lost all the unstored fields from the documents.
> is there anyway to keep the unstored fields as well?
>
> Or any way to go around the problem,
> ie, anyway to export the entire index to a csv file
> and then update the cvs, and then import it back?

Here's an idea: create an index consisting of documents with just this
field, adding documents in exactly the same order as they are in the
other index. Then use ParallelReader to access both indexes at the same
time - ParallelReader will present a merged view of both indexes. You
can also use IndexWriter.addIndexes() to create a merged index.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki     <><