lucene-dev mailing list archives

From mark harwood <markharw...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: WebLuke - include Jetty in Lucene binary distribution?
Date Mon, 10 Dec 2007 17:32:38 GMT
>>I don't know that we have ever checked in IDE settings

GWT development is much easier with the IDE and there is a fair amount of manual setup required
without the settings to run the "hosted" development environment. Hosted development is the
key productivity benefit and allows debugging in Java (rather than building, deploying then
having to debug Javascript). GWT provides Eclipse project generators to get started and they
do not target other IDEs e.g. NetBeans because they claim those IDEs  typically do a good
job of importing eclipse project settings (can't vouch for this myself, not having tried).

>>Aren't they user specific at some point
No, I have taken care to ensure these IDE setting files have all directory names etc replaced
with variables -  in the same way ANT build files use properties to avoid machine-specifics.

>> In that case, then, maybe jetty should be  packaged somewhere else outside of WebLuke?

Yes, I thought that. I tried putting the only other current webapp, "luceneweb.war" under
Jetty but it failed to do anything of interest "out of the box" because it requires an index
to be built first. We could extend that app to include web-based screens to create and populate
an index but I suspect that rapidly puts us on a development path heading towards Solr or
SearchBlox.

>>Also, should this be in 2.3?
Might be an idea to let it bed-down a little first. I'm not happy with the (lack of) security
at present and wouldn't want naive users complaining of vulnerabilities introduced by its
deployment.

Cheers
Mark