lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Yonik Seeley" <yo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: possible segment merge improvement?
Date Fri, 02 Nov 2007 18:40:12 GMT
On 11/1/07, robert engels <rengels@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> I have looked into modifying FieldInfos to keep the fields sorted by
> field name, so the user would not be forced to add the fields in the
> same order.
>
> Sparse documents are really not a problem. Since after the first
> merge of that document it will pickup the other fields from the other
> segments, after which it will merge "as the same".

Only when the field numbers happen match up though right?
There could be number mismatches far after the first merge, depending
on what fields were encountered first in those segments.

Aside: renumbering fields is another area where using byte counts
instead of char counts should really speed things up.

-Yonik