lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: Potential bug in StandardTokenizerImpl
Date Wed, 28 Nov 2007 19:18:07 GMT

: Thanks to Shai Erera for traslating the discussion into the developers'
: list. I am surprised about Chris Hostetter's response, as this issue was

to clarify: i'm not saying that the current behavior is ideal, or even
correct -- i'm saying the current behavior is the current behavior, and
changing it could easily break existing indexes -- something that the
Lucene upgrade contract does not allow...

http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/BackwardsCompatibility

specificly: if someone built an index with 2.2, that index needs to work
when queried by an app running 2.3 .. if we change the StandardTokenizer
to treat this differnetly, that won't work.

In some cases, being backwards compatible is more important then being
"correct" ... i'm not 100% certain that this is one of those cases, i'm
just pointing out that there is more to this issue then just a one line
patch to some code.

-Hoss