lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: setSimilarity on Query
Date Mon, 12 Nov 2007 15:21:04 GMT

:      The problem is that I want to use QueryParser to construct the
: query for me. I am having to overriding the logic in QueryParser to
: construct my own derived class, which seems to me like a convoluted
: way to just setting the Similariy.

that's the basic design of the QueryParser class - you override to get
custom behavior.

independent of the QueryParser aspects of your question, adding a
setSimilarity method to the Query class would be a complete 180 of how it
currently works right now.

Query classes have to have a getSimilarity method so that their
Weight/Scorer have a way to access the similarity functions ... but every
core type of query gets that similarity from the searcher being used when
hte query is executed.

if the Query class defined a "setSimilarity" then the similarity used by
one query in a BooleanQuery might not be the same as another query in the
same query structure ... queryNorms, idfs, tfs ... could all be completley
nonsensical.

A more logical extension point is probably long the lines of past
discussion towards making all of the Similarity methods take in a field
name (so you could have a "PerFieldSimilarityWrapper" type implementation)
and/or changing Searchable.getSimilarity to take in a fieldname param.

i don't think anyone every submitted a patch for either of those ideas
though ... if you check the mailing list archives you'll see there were
performance concerns about one of them (i think it was the first one
because some of those methods are in tight loops, which is unfortunate
because it's the one that can be done in a backwards compatible way)

-Hoss